Brandon Nokes, MDPulmonary, Critical Care, & Sleep MedicineUC San Diego Department of Medicine
Dr. Nokes is originally from Atlanta, GA. He lived there through graduate school before moving to Tucson, AZ where he was the lab manager for a translational breast cancer research lab at the University of Arizona. He then attended medical school at the University of Arizona, where he graduated as a member of the prestigious organization Alpha Omega Alpha. Dr. Nokes completed his residency training in Internal Medicine at Mayo Clinic Arizona, before joining our Pulmonary/Critical Care fellowship program at UCSD. Dr. Nokes is working in the lab of Atul Malhotra where he investigates the pathophysiologic mechanisms underlying obstructive sleep apnea endotypes.
Education & Training
• 2005 – 2009 : Georgia State University, B.S., Neurobiology/Behavioral Neuroscience
• 2009 : Georgia State University, M.S., Cellular/Molecular Biology
• 2011 – 2015 : College of Medicine, University of Arizona, M.D.
• 2015 – 2018 : Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Internal Medicine Residency, Internal Medicine
Academic Rank and Position
Instructor in Medicine – Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science 2017 – 2018
- Nokes BT, Cunliffe HE, Lafleur B, Mount DW, Livingston RB, Futscher BW, Lang JE. In Vitro Assessment of the Inflammatory Breast Cancer Cell Line SUM 149: Discovery of 2 Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms in the RNase L Gene. J Cancer. 2013; 4(2):104-16. Epub 2013 Jan 10. PMID: 23386909 PMCID: 3563072 DOI: 10.7150/jca.5002
- Nokes B, Apel M, Jones C, Brown G, Lang JE. Aminolevulinic acid (ALA): photodynamic detection and potential therapeutic applications. J Surg Res. 2013 May; 181(2):262-71. Epub 2013 Feb 24. PMID: 23510551 DOI: 10.1016/j.jss.2013.02.002
- Sim Y, Nokes B, Byreddy S, Chong J, Coull BM, Labiner DM. Healthcare utilization of patients with epilepsy in Yuma County, Arizona: do disparities exist? Epilepsy Behav. 2014 Feb; 31:307-11. Epub 2013 Nov 05. PMID: 24210458 DOI: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2013.10.018
- Nokes B, Khan R. Lymphomatous Meningitis from Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma (DLBCL). Am J Neuroradiol, AJNR Case of the Week. 2014 Jul 21.
- Nokes B, Sim Y, Gibson B, Byreddy S, Labiner DM, Coull B, Chong J. Assessment of stroke risk in southern Arizona, the pairing of acculturation and stroke risk factor development. J Immigr Minor Health. 2015 Apr; 17(2):513-8. PMID: 24173570 DOI: 10.1007/s10903-013-9940-3
- Lang J, Zhu W, Nokes B, Sheth G, Novak P, Fuchs L, Watts G, Futscher B, Mineyev N, Ring A, LeBeau L, Nagle R, Cranmer L. Characterization of a novel radiation-induced sarcoma cell line. J Surg Oncol. 2015 May; 111(6):669-82. Epub 2015 Feb 02. PMID: 25644184 PMCID: 4406876 DOI: 10.1002/jso.23860
- Nokes BT, Baumann CP, Cummings KW, Larsen BT, Cartin-Ceba R, Swanson KL. Intrathoracic ganglioneuroma presenting as an endobronchial mass. Respir Med Case Rep. 2017; 22:209-211 Epub 2017 Aug 24 PMID: 28879079 PMCID: 5575446 DOI: 10.1016/j.rmcr.2017.08.018
- Nokes BT, Dumitrascu OM, Shamoun FE, O’Carroll CB. Antiphospholipid Syndrome With a Distinctive Constellation of Neurological Manifestations: Blue Toes, Red Valves, White Retinal Spots. Neurologist. 2017 Jul; 22 (4):147-149 PMID: 28644259 DOI: 10.1097/NRL.0000000000000133
- Nokes B, Cartin-Ceba R, Farmer J, Chapital A. Spontaneous Tumor Lysis Syndrome from a Solitary CNS Metastatic Lesion from Nonseminomatous Germ Cell tumor: A Case Report. Southwest J Pulm Crit Care 2017
- Nokes BT, Pajaro O, Stephen J, DeValeria P, Scott R, Shah S, Steidley E, Jahanyar J. Monster Lung Cavity in a Heart Transplant Recipient. Heart Surg Forum. 2018 Mar 5; 21 (2):E072-E074 Epub 2018 Mar 05 PMID: 29658861 DOI: 10.1532/hsf.1922
- Nokes B, Beeletsega Y, Maddux J, Van Woerkom R, Lowell A, Callisen H, Patel B, Shamoun F, Fortuin D, DeValeria P, Sen A. Inhaled nitric oxide mitigates need for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in a patient with refractory acute hypoxemic respiratory failure due to cardiac and pulmonary shunts. Respir Med Case Rep. 2018.
- Nokes B, Brighton A, Larsen B, Prasad P, Beamer S, Cartin-Ceba R, Swanson K. Pneumocytic Adenomyoepithelioma: A Case Providing Support for the Benignity of this Extremely Rare Pulmonary Neoplasm. Respir Med Case Rep. 2018.
- Nokes BT, Vaszar L, Jahanyar J, Swanson KL. VV-ECMO-Assisted High-Risk Endobronchial Stenting as Rescue for Asphyxiating Mediastinal Mass. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2018 Apr; 25 (2):144-147 PMID: 28906275 DOI: 10.1097/LBR.0000000000000435
- Raza HA, Nokes B, Wesselius L, Agrwal N. Long Term Oxygen Therapy in COPD Patients with Moderate Hypoxemia. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2018.
- Nokes B, Tseng A, Cartin-Ceba R, Jokerst C, Shamoun F, Mertz L. Anticoagulation in Behçet related intrathoracic vasculitis. Resp Med Case Reports. 2018.
- Nokes B, Jensen EA, Cartin-Ceba R: Unusual Cause of Severe Airflow Limitation in a Patient with Eisenmenger’s Syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2018.
- Nokes B, Afshar, K. Adjunctive therapies in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis—where do we stand? J Thorac Dis 2018.
- Desai A, Mohan P, Nokes B, Seth D, Knapp S, Boustani M, Chalasani N, Fallon M, Calhoun E. Increasing Economic Burden in Hospitalized Cirrhotics: Analysis of a National Database. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. DOI pending.
- Raza H, Nokes B, Jaroszewski D, Garrett A, Ramachandra S, Ross J, Farmer J, Lyng P. VV-ECMO for surgical cure of a critical central airway obstruction. Resp Med Case Reports. 2019.
- Jackson N, Nokes B, Sakata K, Cummings K, Vaszar L. An unusual variant of scimitar syndrome predisposing to recurrent pneumonia. Respir Med Case Rep. 2019 Jan 23;26:240-243.
- Nokes B, Raza H, Cartin-Ceba R, Lyng P, Krahn L, Wesselius L, Jokerst C, Umar S, Griffing L, Neville M, Malhotra A, Parish J. Individuals With Scleroderma May Have Increased Risk of Sleep- Disordered Breathing 2019. (J Clin Sleep Med).
- Nokes B, Malhotra A: “Pulmonary Hypertension and Obstructive Sleep Apnea” Response to: Simonson et al. Pulmonary Artery Dilatation and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine 2020 – in press
- Malhotra A, Nokes B, Deyoung P, Owens B. Why Do We Sometimes Ignore the Chief Complaint in Patients Evaluated for Obstructive Sleep Apnea? Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine 2020 – in press
- Nokes BT. Burns and Electrical Injury. In: Mayo Clinic Neurocritical Care and Intensive Care Board Review. 2019.
- Nokes BT, Cartin-Ceba R. Pulmonary Embolism. In: Mayo Clinic Neurocritical Care and Intensive Care Board Review. 2019.
- Nokes B, Afshar K. Lung Transplantation for Interstitial Lung Diseases. In: Interstitial Lung Diseases. 2019. ISBN 978-953-51-8139-2
- Nokes B, Blair J. Coccidiomycosis in Transplant. In: Emerging Transplant Infections. 2019.
- Nokes B, et al. A Phase I trial of d-limonene in newly diagnosed breast cancer patients: a chemoprevention study. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium. 2011.
- Nokes B, et al. Photodynamic detection of human breast cancer cells using aminolevulinic acid-aided fluorescence spectroscopy. 4th International Symposium on Cancer Metastasis and the Lymphovascular System. 2011.
- Nokes B, et al. Analysis of healthcare utilization of epilepsy patients in a southern Arizona border community. Am Acad Neurol. 2013.
- Nokes B, et al. Assessment of Stroke Risk Factors in Southern Arizona. Am Acad Neurol. 2013.
- Nokes B, et al. Cultural competency training for medical students through community outreach. Arizona Global Health Conference. 2014.
- Nokes B, et al. Improving stroke literacy in underserved communities. Arizona Global Health Conference. 2014.
- Nokes B, Kashyap A, Boyer TD, Desai AP. Impact of comorbidity on inpatient outcomes for decompensated cirrhosis Hepatology. 2015 Oct; 62:922A.
- Nokes B, Zimmerman R, Patel N, Zarka M, Chapital A. Spontaneous tumor lysis syndrome from a solitary metastatic CNS nonseminomatous germ cell tumor. Critical Care Medicine.2016 Dec;44:(Suppl 12)568.
- Nokes B, Cartin-Ceba R. A case of metastatic solitary fibrous tumor of the lung American Journal Of Respiratory And Critical Care Medicine. 2017; 195:A6596.
- Baumann CP, Kriegshauser JS, Larsen BT, Magallanez KM, Nokes BT, Roberts DL, Ross HJ. Improving the Process of Ordering Outside Genomic Testing for Lung Cancer Specimens: Report on a Work in Progress. Mayo Clnic Quality Symposium, Rochester, MN. 2018.
- Nokes B, Cartin-Ceba R, Jokerst C, Shamoun F, Mertz L. Anticoagulation Challenges in Behçet Related Pulmonary Vasculitis. Mayo Clinic 2018 International Conference on Large Vessel Vasculitis and Related Disorders, Rochester, MN. 2018 Mar.
- Nokes B, Raza HA, Lyng P, Garrett A, Krahn L, Wesselius LJ, Viggiano RW, Swanson KL, Griffing L, Parish JM. Patients with Scleroderma are at Increased Risk for Sleep Disorder Breathing (sdb). American Thoracic Society International Meeting, San Diego, CA. 2018 May.
- Alvarez B, Raza HA, Nokes B, Cartin-Ceba R. PICC Use in Sepsis and Septic Shock Patients Admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. American Thoracic Society International Meeting, San Diego, CA. 2018 May.
- Raza HA, Nokes B, Rosenthal A, Mangold AR, Kelemen K, Jokerst C, Camilleri MJ, Cartin-Ceba R. Unicentric Castleman’s Disease Complicated by Paraneoplastic Bronchiolitis Obliterans and Pemphigus. American Thoracic Society International Meeting, San Diego, CA. 2018 May.
- Nokes BT, Pajaro O, Stephen J, DeValeria P, Scott R, Shah S, Steidley E, Jahanyar J. Monster Cavity in a Heart Transplant Recipient. The Heart Surgery Forum. (accepted). 2018
Spontaneous Tumor Lysis Syndrome from a Solitary CNS Metastatic Lesion from Nonseminomatous Germ Cell tumor: A Case Report
Society of Critical Care Medicine 46th Annual Congress
Honolulu, Hawaii 01/2017
Anticoagulation in Behçet-Related Pulmonary Vasculitis: An In Situ Balancing Act
Society of Critical Care Medicine 47th Annual Congress
San Antonio, Texas 02/2017