Jeff Barry, MD, MPHPulmonary, Critical Care, & Sleep MedicineUC San Diego Department of Medicine
Dr. Barry grew up in Northern New Jersey and moved to Ann Arbor, MI for his undergraduate studies. He then moved to New York City to pursue a Master of Public Health before attending medical school at Temple University in Philadelphia. While in medical school, he won an Award of Excellence for Patient Safety from Abington Memorial Hospital and the Emmanuel M. Weinberger Prize for Hematology. He stayed at Temple for his internal medicine residency before switching coasts for pulmonary and critical care fellowship at UC San Diego. He is currently board certified in internal medicine. His previous research focused on a variety of topics including right heart disease in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), ventilator weaning, the effect of curcumin on model cell membranes, fiber optical networking, and electronic health records in medicine. He is currently an investigator on several clinical trials in asthma, COPD, and eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA) and is investigating the role of eosinophilia in cystic fibrosis.
Education & Training
2005-2009: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI; BS in Applied Mathematics, Biology, and Interdisciplinary Physics
2009-2011: Columbia University, New York, NY; MPH in Epidemiology
2010-2014: Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA; MD
2014-2017: Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA; Internal Medicine Residency
2017-2020: University of California, San Diego; Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
• Cystic Fibrosis
• Eosinophilic lung disease
• Liberator CD, Marron R, Barry J, Shenoy KV. Asthma. Essentials of Clinical Pulmonology. Edited by Criner, G. Taylor & Francis Group. Published October 1, 2018.
• Barry, J.; Fritz, M.; Brender, J.; Smith, P.; Lee, D.; Ramamoorthy, A. “Determining the effects of lipophilic drugs on membrane structure by solid-state NMR Spectroscopy – The case of the antioxidant Curcumin.” Journal of the American Chemical Society. Available online March 3, 2009
• Edwards, A.; Hollin, I.; Barry, J.; Kachnowski, S. “Barriers to Cross-Institutional Health Information Exchange: A Literature Review.” Journal of Healthcare Information Management. 2010 Summer; 24(3):22-34.
• Stein, S.; Barry, J.; Jha, S. “Are Chargemaster Rates for Imaging Studies Lower in States that Cap Non-Economic Damages (Tort Reform)?” Journal of the American College of Radiology. Accepted March 26, 2014
• Barry, Jeffrey. “Value of Unstructured Patient Narratives.” Healthmgttech.com. Health Management Technology. July 2010.
• Barry, Jeffrey, and Hollin, Ilene. “Adopting Electronic Health Records to Improve Patient Care.” Healthinformation.advanceweb.com. ADVANCE for Health Information Professionals. Available online March 31, 2010.