Two scientists at the University of California, San Diego have been awarded New Innovator Awards from the National Institutes of Health for research projects “that challenge the status quo with innovative ideas that have the potential to propel fields forward and speed the translation of research into improved health for the American public.” … Read the full story from the UCSD Newsroom
Twenty-five physicians from the UCSD Department of Medicine have been named to the sixth annual “San Diego’s Top Doctors” list. The “Top Doctors” list, published each October in San Diego Magazine, is compiled by the San Diego County Medical Society. Selection is based on recommendations from the doctors’ peers.
“There are many things to be proud of in the Department of Medicine’s clinical care at UCSD,” said Kenneth Kaushansky, M.D., Helen M. Ranney Professor and Chair of the Department of Medicine.“UCSD has more physicians on the ‘Top Doctors’ list than any other healthcare system in San Diego,” he noted, “and we in the Department of Medicine lead that list.”
The “Top Doctors” list reflects the choices that San Diego physicians made when asked which doctors they themselves would choose for their own friends’ or family members’ medical care.
In all, 61 UCSD physicians are named on the list.
Here are the names of the Department of Medicine awardees, followed by the number of years each has been listed as a “Top Doctor”:
- Daniel Blanchard, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (5 years)
- Emergency Medicine
- Theodore C. Chan, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (4 years)
- Richard F. Clark, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (4 years)
- James V. Dunford, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (3 years)
- David A. Guss, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (3 years)
- Aaron Schneir, M.D., HS Associate Clinical Professor (2 years)
- George M. Shumaik, M.D., HS Clinical Professor (2 years)
- Gary M. Vilke, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (5 years)
- Steven V. Edelman, M.D., HS Clinical Professor (5 years)
- Thomas J. Savides, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (4 years)
- General Internal Medicine
- Paul N. Gamble, M.D., HS Clinical Professor (4 years)
- Eduardo Grunvald, M.D., HS Associate Clinical Professor (2 years)
- Tony P. Lopez, M.D., HS Clinical Professor (3 years)
- William Christopher Mathews, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (first year)
- Gita Mehta, M.D., HS Clinical Professor (5 years)
- Lucy Dalton Moore, M.D., HS Clinical Professor (first year)
- Joe W. Ramsdell, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (first year)
- Stephen R. Selzer, M.D. (3 years)
- John W. Daly, M.D., HS Clinical Professor (2 years)
- Kenneth Kaushansky, M.D., Helen M. Ranney Professor and Chair (first year)
- Barbara A. Parker, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (3 years)
- Hospital Medicine
- Joshua Lee, M.D., HS Associate Clinical Professor (first year)
- Gregory B. Seymann, M.D., Associate Clinical Professor (first year)
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- William R. Auger, M.D., Professor of Clinical Medicine (4 years)
- Peter Fedullo, M.D., HS Clinical Professor (3 years)
- Division of Cardiology
- Department of Emergency Medicine
- Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Division of Gastroenterology
- Division of Geriatrics
- Division of General Internal Medicine
- Division of Hematology-Oncology
- Division of Hospital Medicine
- Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- San Diego County Medical Society
- San Diego’s Top Doctors 2008, San Diego Magazine
The award recognizes Dr. Morris for the extraordinary quality of care he provides for patients who have respiratory disorders.
Dr. Morris is Professor of Medicine and Medical Director of Clinical Services for the Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine. In addition, he is Medical Director of the Respiratory Care and the Pulmonary Function Laboratories.
Four UC San Diego Department of Medicine subspecialties are among the top in the nation in the 2008 “Best Hospitals” list from U.S. News & World Report:
The report was released July 10.
The Medical Staff Executive Committee has honored Thomas J. Savides, MD, with the Physician of the Year Award for 2008.
A leader in the field of endoscopic ultrasound and a respected expert in interventional gastrointestinal endoscopy, he is founder and director of the Endoscopic Ultrasound Program at UC San Diego Medical Center.
The Medical Staff Executive Committee has honored Dr. Brian Kolski with one of its two Housestaff of the Year awards for 2008.Dr. Kolski is a chief resident in Internal Medicine for the year 2007-2008.
Upon his graduation in June, he will enter a fellowship in cardiology here at the UC San Diego School of Medicine.
The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) has awarded its first-ever Team Approaches in Quality Improvement Award to the UC San Diego Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) Prevention Program team.
The national award recognizes the team for its exemplary efforts in preventing VTE in hospitalized patients at UC San Diego Medical Center.
The program has significantly lowered the incidence of VTE in inpatients and has become a model for VTE prevention efforts nationwide.
Dr. Maynard is Clinical Professor of Medicine and Chief of the Division of Hospital Medicine. The VTE Prevention Team includes UC San Diego hospitalists, other physician specialists, pharmacists, and nurses.
The Team Approaches in Quality Improvement Award was presented in a ceremony on April 5 at the Hospital Medicine 2008 meeting here in San Diego.
- News Stories
UC San Diego researcher Jason X.–J. Yuan, M.D., Ph.D., has been awarded a 2008 Guggenheim fellowship. The award will allow him to establish a new research project on the role of ion channels in stem cell proliferation and differentiation.
Dr. Yuan is Professor of Medicine in the Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine.
In his studies in pulmonary physiology and pathophysiology, Dr. Yuan works to identify the causes and find new treatments for lung diseases such as pulmonary arterial hypertension.
He is one of two UC San Diego faculty members, and a total of 18 in the University of California system, to be named a Guggenheim fellow this year. Poet Rae Armantrout is the other UC San Diego awardee.
Each year, the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation awards its fellowships to a select number of artists, scholars, and scientists for their extraordinary achievements and their great promise as contributors in their fields.
- Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
- Dr. Yuan’s profile
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
Kim E. Barrett, Ph.D., AGAF, Professor in the Division of Gastroenterology and UC San Diego Dean of Graduate Studies, has won a national honor for her outstanding contributions in the field of digestive health.
Dr. Barrett received her award in a ceremony during the Digestive Disease Week 2008 (DDW® 2008) conference held in San Diego May 17-22.