A consortium of the five University of California medical campuses at UC San Diego, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA and UC San Francisco has been designated a Center for Accelerated Innovations by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI). The designation, among the first of its kind from NHLBI, recognizes the University of California’s potential to translate its leading-edge discoveries into innovative products that benefit patients. … Read the full story from the UCSD Newsroom
Gary S. Firestein, MD, chair of the UC BRAID consortium that will oversee the new UC Center for Accelerated Innovations, is dean and associate vice chancellor of translational medicine at UC San Diego Health Sciences
Firestein is professor of medicine and former chief of the Division of Rheumatology, Allergy & Immunology at UC San Diego. He served as division chief from 1998 until he stepped down in 2010 to devote full time to his activities as dean of translational medicine.
In 2011, philanthropists Lisa and Steve Altman made a major gift to the planned Clinical and Translational Research building on the La Jolla campus of UC San Diego Health System. Construction started in early 2013 and the building, named the Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute, is scheduled to open in 2016.
UC San Diego Health System Video: The Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute
- Related UC San Diego news stories:
- Dr. Gary S. Firestein Will Be New Dean for Translational Medicine at UC San Diego – March 20, 2008
- UC San Diego Receives Major Clinical and Translational Science Award – July 14, 2010
- UC San Diego Health Sciences Receives Gift for Translational Research Building – March 3, 2011
- Community Celebrates Groundbreaking of Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute Facility – January 17, 2013
- UC San Diego:
- Research at the University of California:
- Additional Resources: